Skip to main content

Unitarian elections

This post has been brewing in me since January. I have to say that I'm sickened by the American UUA presidential election process. "Sickened" may seem like an overly-dramatic word, but I genuinely feel kind of sick when I see the process happening.

If you need convincing that religion apes culture, then all you need to do is look at how American Unitarian Universalists have organised their denomination to look exactly like the US politicial system: they elect a President for four years, with the possibility of standing for a second four year term, exactly like the national system.

And it seems to me the UUA system has all the disadvantages of the secular system it's imitating: elections last a mind-boggling long time (18 months), they cost a ridiculous amount of money, and they are founded on egotistical self-promotion.

It's not suprising I suppose. UUs are often political junkies that are very into elections, they were up last week celebrating at the Obama victory. No doubt they enjoy another election that they can get their teeth into closer to home. But is this the best way for a religious community to run itself?

I don't wish to say anything bad about the two declared candidates in this election, I've met one of them, and am likely to meet the other in a few months. In person and from afar both people impress me. But it's the system that disturbs me.

The idea of election websites for religious leaders feels me with a kind of dread. Maybe its because my theology of leadership rejects that kind of self-promotion ("Why do you call me good? Only the Father is good?") or maybe it's just my cultural British sensitivity that finds such American electioning just distasteful. But whatever it is - yuck! - It's a visceral rejection of it all.

But I think a large part of it all is just my sense of what an overwhelming waste of money it all is. The fact that this system requires Unitarians to donate their money to the cause of one candidate to run a website and a campaign seems just plain wrong to me.

And all this and it's not even a general election, the only people that vote are the delegates at the next General Assembly. So why do you need a campaign at all? Shouldn't it just be a process of careful discernment by all voting delegates at the 2009 GA?

Compare this to the British process for electing an Executive Committee. We're in the middle of this process too; but it started after, and will finish before, the American process. Firstly there is not one President, but an Executive Committee of eight people. This automatically makes a big difference. But more importantly than this, there is no campaigning, no websites, no money spent by any candidate on gettting themselves elected. And this is when we are holding a general election. Theoretically every Unitarian in the country can vote in this election.

And rather than campaigning websites we have this forum where anyone can submit a question to be answered by the candidates. This to me seems a much better, and more economical use of the internet to facilitate an election process. Although it does seem that only four out of eleven candidates are using this forum currently.

I've received a little book with the candidates' election statements in the post and will post of my ballot paper some time in the next few weeks. It's all so much more gentle and British than the system of our American cousins.

No doubt our system isn't perfect. But I would much prefer this one than the American one. I don't do it that often, a blog is a place for shouting from the sidelines after all, but I want to say how well I think the denomination does this. I'm glad to be on this side of the pond right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical?

When I started this blog nearly 4 years and nearly 300 posts ago one of the labels I used for it/me was "radical." Perhaps I used it a little unreflectively. Recently I've been pondering what radical means. A couple of things have made me think of this. Firstly this blog series from my friend Jeremy, which explores a distinction between "radical progressives" and "rational progressives." There is also this definition of radical, liberal and conservative from Terry Eagleton quoted at Young Anabaptist Radicals : “Radicals are those who believe that things are extremely bad with us, but they could feasibly be much improved. Conservatives believe that things are pretty bad, but that’s just the way the human animal is. And liberals believe that there’s a little bit of good and bad in all of us.” What interests me is finding a way to express the tension I feel sometimes between myself and the wider Unitarian movement. One way to express this is to say I tend

What does it mean to be non-creedal?

Steve Caldwell says "The problem here isn't humanism vs. theism for theist Unitarian Universalists -- it's the non-creedal nature of Unitarian Universalism" This is a good point. We need to think much more deeply about what it means to be a non-creedal religion. The first thing I want to say is that there is more than one possible understanding of non-creedalism. The Disciples of Christ are a non-creedal church, they say here : " Freedom of belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others." Quakers are also non-creedal and say here : Quakers have no set creed or dogma - that means we do not have any declared statements which you have to believe to be a Quaker. There are, however, some commonly held views which unite us. One accepted view is that th

What is Radical Christianity?

Radical Christianity is about encountering the God of love . It is first and foremost rooted in the discovery of a universal and unconditional source of love at the heart of reality and within each person. God is the name we give to this source of love. It is possible to have a direct and real personal encounter with this God through spiritual practice. We encounter God, and are nourished by God, through the regular practice of prayer, or contemplation.  Radical Christianity is about following a man called Jesus . It is rooted in the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth, a Jewish prophet living under occupation of the Roman Empire two thousand years ago. It understands that's Jesus' message was the message of liberation. His message was that when we truly encounter God, and let God's love flow through us, we begin to be liberated from the powers of empire and violence and encounter the  "realm of God" - an alternative spiritual and social reality rooted in love rather th