Skip to main content

Elevator speech

As Unitarians, we don't have many religious obligations - but one of them is to work on an elevator speech. Yes it sounds quite American, but "lift speech" doesn't quite sound right. It is an American phrase, presumably from the business world, and I have been made to think about it by reading a sermon by William Sinkford and listening to a sermon by Gini Courter at ConCentric. These are the two most senior people in the American Unitarian Universalist Church right now.

An elevator speech is basically a 30 second speech. You get in a lift with someone, the door closes, and they ask you about your Chalice badge/T-shirt/tattoo. You say, 'It's the symbol of my faith, I am a Unitarian.'
'Oh, what's that?' they say.
You have 30 seconds until they get out of the lift to explain your strange faith. What do you say?

I nearly had this opportunity recently. It was on my flight from Chicago to London. The person sitting next to me asked what I had been doing in the States. I told her I had been going to a Unitarian young adult conference in Iowa. Unfortunately she didn't say, 'Unitarian - what's that?' So I didn't go any further. I didn't want to be pushy, and let's face it the last thing anyone wants is some nutter trying to convert them sitting next to them on an eight hour flight. Anyway she told me she was going on a 'mission' to Africa so I kind of assumed she was well settled in her faith. But then again, you never know.

Anyway, I've been working on my elevator speech. This is what I have so far.

Most Christians believe that Jesus was divine, but Unitarians believe there's divinity in all people, and in some sense all things too. We believe that all people have sacred worth and can reveal religious truth. All people, regardless of gender, race, class, sexual orientation or religion have inherent worth and something to teach us about God. We believe we should join together in radical communities that work for justice and freedom for all people and the Earth and walk together in our spiritual searches by joining our souls together in worship and our minds together in dialogue.

I encourage you to work on your own elevator speech.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"A Unitarian is not a Christian in the same way that a Canadian is not an American."

"Uh?"

"You're on the Internet, right? You can find out all about it there."
Anonymous said…
Please be clear, when making any statements like this, you are expressing your own opinion. This is only a statement of what you believe.

However, it is not what "Unitarians" believe. I assume by using the word "Unitarians" and "we" you are stating what you would like and perhaps assume all "Unitarians" to believe.

I know a fair few who would find the use of what I perceive as overtly theistic and religious language very difficult to go along with.

e.g. divinity, religious truth and God.

One of the essences of being Unitarian is having an individual approach with no imposed strait jackets.
Anonymous said…
I would disagree with Bursting Bubbles. While that may be true in the United States, Unitarianism in the UK is still predominantly Christian, and the writers elevator speech would be apt. (And someone needs to correct me if I'm horrendously wrong)
LaReinaCobre said…
bursting bubbles:
mind sharing your elevator speech?

I think Stephen's was very good. And I am a humanist, agnostic. here is more to what he is sa ing than the words.

I personally have a couple of "elevator speeches," for different situations, depending on what I am feeling.

Popular posts from this blog

Radical?

When I started this blog nearly 4 years and nearly 300 posts ago one of the labels I used for it/me was "radical." Perhaps I used it a little unreflectively. Recently I've been pondering what radical means. A couple of things have made me think of this. Firstly this blog series from my friend Jeremy, which explores a distinction between "radical progressives" and "rational progressives." There is also this definition of radical, liberal and conservative from Terry Eagleton quoted at Young Anabaptist Radicals : “Radicals are those who believe that things are extremely bad with us, but they could feasibly be much improved. Conservatives believe that things are pretty bad, but that’s just the way the human animal is. And liberals believe that there’s a little bit of good and bad in all of us.” What interests me is finding a way to express the tension I feel sometimes between myself and the wider Unitarian movement. One way to express this is to say I tend

What does it mean to be non-creedal?

Steve Caldwell says "The problem here isn't humanism vs. theism for theist Unitarian Universalists -- it's the non-creedal nature of Unitarian Universalism" This is a good point. We need to think much more deeply about what it means to be a non-creedal religion. The first thing I want to say is that there is more than one possible understanding of non-creedalism. The Disciples of Christ are a non-creedal church, they say here : " Freedom of belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others." Quakers are also non-creedal and say here : Quakers have no set creed or dogma - that means we do not have any declared statements which you have to believe to be a Quaker. There are, however, some commonly held views which unite us. One accepted view is that th

What is Radical Christianity?

Radical Christianity is about encountering the God of love . It is first and foremost rooted in the discovery of a universal and unconditional source of love at the heart of reality and within each person. God is the name we give to this source of love. It is possible to have a direct and real personal encounter with this God through spiritual practice. We encounter God, and are nourished by God, through the regular practice of prayer, or contemplation.  Radical Christianity is about following a man called Jesus . It is rooted in the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth, a Jewish prophet living under occupation of the Roman Empire two thousand years ago. It understands that's Jesus' message was the message of liberation. His message was that when we truly encounter God, and let God's love flow through us, we begin to be liberated from the powers of empire and violence and encounter the  "realm of God" - an alternative spiritual and social reality rooted in love rather th